Friday, November 9, 2007

My 'Owbie Toe'

My wife takes it as a personal affront that I have not yet contributed to the family blog, so I thought I might share the recent adventures of my right big toe.

It started last week in the form a partially ingrown toenail. Such occurrences are not uncommon for me and I figured it would run it's course and be good as new after a few days.

I was wrong. Monday was when I first noticed the puss oozing out from alongside my toenail. I saw it as a good sign, that the malignant fluid causing the swelling had finally escaped. As the days progressed, so did the amount of puss emitted. Walking became painful, and I decided it was finally time to see a medical professional.

At the Highlands Urgent Care Clinic, I was pampered with the finest treatment. First, a local anesthetic was administered by sticking a 16-gauge needle directly into the most sensitive area on my swollen toe... OUCH! This was followed by a 1/2" long incision along the side of my nail, and evacuation of the all resident fluid. Then the kind doctor scraped away the offending foreign material that had caused this predicament in the first place. As a final bonus, he also scraped away some additional nail growth the didn't belong. By now the anesthetic was starting to wear off, luckily all the was left was the bandage. Driving home was a real treat, as my toe had finally realized the abuse it had been subjected to.

The throbbing has finally subsided, thanks in part to pain medication, but primarily due to kisses from my daughter to make my 'owbie toe' feel better.

1 comment:

Chickadeeva said...

I have an owie toe too - a horse stepped on it.

Hope it feels getter!!